American movie and television cowboy hero, William Boyd, was a Palm Desert resident and known for giving his “Happy wooden nickels to children and teaching them his tips to good citizenship known as “Happy Creed.” The trail was dedicated on January 31, 2004 by his widow, Grace Bradley Boyd, saying that “Happy and Topper would have loved the trail and have encouraged everyone enjoy it and practice trail safety.
1. The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times..
2. Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions..
3. If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.
4. Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don’t be lazy...
5. Your good deeds always come to light. So don’t boast or be a show off.
6. If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.
7. Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.
8. A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.
9. Our country’s laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.
10. Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.